It started out over 4 organic apples that I bought. They looked good, and hey – organic is healthier right? So they went into my shopping basket without a second thought. Then it became about our budget and the laundry still not done and a million other things that I cannot remember now. But till this day I can still recall that as one of our worst (and silliest!) arguments as a married couple.
Of course, we laugh about it now, but back then it wasn’t funny at all. We calmed down and managed to work through issues sensibly that night, but it also made me realise how important it was for me to manage our home better. It wasn’t about the apples. Not really, anyway. 🙂 It was so much more than that.
Change takes time, but I started to be more intentional about learning. These days, you don’t hear much about the art of homemaking. But even when I was working outside the home, I knew homemaking was a responsibility that I had to take ownership of. It was a role that God entrusted us women with, and I had a lot to learn as a newly minted wife.Homemaking is a role that God has entrusted us women with. We have to take ownership of it. 🙂 Click To Tweet
Ways to Create Order & Loveliness
Over the years, I have tried a variety of ways to create order and loveliness to our home life. When order and structure are in place, there is so much more freedom and clarity! You get into a routine that works for your family, and you don’t forget things as much as before. But what’s the point of a well-organized life if there is no beauty and loveliness to enjoy?
So here are some inspirations for ways to create order and loveliness in your home life today. If you want a ton more (101 to be exact!) – hit subscribe and you’ll receive my free gift for you!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure here.
(1) Decorate your home seasonally with items that bring you joy. Don’t you love entering a home that just warms your heart the minute you step in? I love decorating the home according to seasons and festive occasions and making small tweaks in the decor just to spruce things up a bit!
It is definitely hard work, but playing worship songs or music that you love while cleaning the house, or while putting up the decorations is a fun way to enjoy the process! Nurture your home environment with joy! It is so important for the well-being of our loved ones. Welcome them back home with a warm and beautiful sight – remember, do it your way. What brings you joy? Does it make you smile just thinking about it? What designs do you gravitate towards? Decorate with things that make you happy.It's a no-brainer, but do decorate your home with items that bring you joy! 🙂 Click To Tweet
(2) Write a note of encouragement to someone who needs it, or an appreciation note for someone you are thankful for. Taking stock of what and who we are grateful for helps us gain perspective. Often times, things are not as bad as we think they are. We may simply be feeling overwhelmed or stressed or plain discouraged. Set aside some time to thank or encourage someone. You will brighten up their day, and yours! Little things like this mean a lot. Let them know that they are loved! Take out your pretty stationary and cute stickers and just start writing.
(3) Bring beauty into your home. Freshen your place up with your favorite flowers. Fresh is my personal preference, but if artificial flowers are easier for you to maintain, go for it! Nature has so much beauty to offer us. The grocery store has a ton of prudent choices too!
Set up a beautiful bowl of fresh fruits on the dining table, or light a delicious-smelling candle. These are little touches that can spark much joy in the most ordinary of days. I have a few Yankee candles that I absolutely adore! Their Fresh Cut Roses is one of those.
Do you like to bake? I get so excited when I know something warm and delicious is in the oven, and when someone smiles and says, “It’s good!” – that moment is priceless.
Related: Live a Life You Love: 101 Ways!
(4) Create a Home Management Binder with information that you cannot afford to lose. You can do one up yourself or get a pretty one like this from Homemaking Ministries ! I like that they are all well-categorized for you so it’s super cute and functional. It includes sections on managing your home, the kitchen, finances, cleaning routines and personal hobbies – these are simple ways to create the order for all the information you need to manage.
Be sure to include information on your insurance, medical bills, meal plans, addresses, children’s school-related information, etc. in this binder so you will not panic when you need to refer to them!
(5) Have heart-to-heart connecting time with your husband regularly. Date him again and enjoy each other’s company! Now that we have a precious child to take care of, the health of our marriage matters even more. We still have our disagreements and misunderstandings, but I find that when we intentionally make time to connect with each other, issues are resolved a lot faster and in more pleasant ways. (Remember my organic apple story!)
I schedule in date nights as often as we can get babysitting help and this protected time helps a lot. It doesn’t have to always be done outside though, and Dating Divas is a resource that I’ve used for the past 5 years to help me with ideas. I have not shared this resource much with others because I felt a little shy about it. 😉
But hey – they have so many creative and fun ideas and printables! Like this Ultimate Date Night book with more than 200 awesome date ideas!
I’m not a very creative sort, so they make it really easy by providing all we need, and we just focus on spending quality time together and reconnecting again. Plus, how adorable is their Love Themed Wall Art?? It’s less than $10 for 20+ beautiful printables designs, and they are constant reminders for me as I walk around the house, to focus on love.
Us on our date night this week:
Related: Choosing to Love First
Cherish the Ordinary
Friend, let us cherish our ordinary days. Read on the sofa with your children, bake a cake together, or build cushion forts and have pillow fights. Hang up an art-piece that your family loves, even if it is random doodles from your toddler. These are precious moments!
I wish I could take you out for coffee and just sit and hear your story. About how you managed to scrub that bathtub clean even though you were already so tired. About how your husband got home late from work and instead of getting irritated at him, you remember to hold your tongue and hug him instead. About your ordinary yet extraordinary days because of God’s extravagant love for you.I want to sit with you and listen to your ordinary yet extraordinary days. Click To Tweet
Jesus loves you. He is with you. Just like He is with us. And He is the reason we can do this thing called homemaking – He will empower us with grace, strength, and wisdom. On days when we feel lousy or close to breaking down, we need to turn to Him.
To end off, I just want to encourage you to register for the Homemaking Ministries 2017 Conference ! It’s fully online so you don’t have to worry about babysitting or getting plane tickets. 😉 There are 23 amazing speakers that will focus on the theme “Finding Purpose in Your Home“.
Believe me when I say it’s going to be fun and fantastic! I always leave each session very refreshed and recharged, and the teachings are practical and biblically sound. Plus, all the videos are recorded, so even if you miss the live teaching, you can always watch it later. You get lifetime access!
I know you want to live a simple, meaningful and purposeful life. You will be so deeply blessed by amazing speakers who will give you more insight into your purpose in homemaking, and I’m sure you’ll be inspired to find new ways to create order and loveliness in your life.
If you’d like more details, just subscribe and you’ll not miss a thing! 🙂
If you’ve enjoyed this post, please leave a comment below and share it with your friends!